2016-2017 Undergraduate Catalog

Transfer Credit

Greenville College accepts transfer credit from regionally accredited institutions or institutions who are accredited by an accreditor recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). Credit will be accepted from accredited junior and community colleges, four year colleges and universities, and Bible colleges. Students seeking credit for work completed at other colleges or universities must provide official transcripts to Greenville College. They must also provide course descriptions and/or course syllabi for each course before transfer evaluations can be made.

The registrar, in consultation with appropriate faculty members, makes the final decision on what courses will be accepted for transfer credit. Students who have questions about the transfer evaluation process should contact the registrar at 618-664-7025 or via email at records@greenville.edu.

Current or prospective Greenville College students sometimes wish to take courses elsewhere and transfer them to GC. Students wishing to take courses from other institutions in future terms should confirm that the course credits are transferable before they enroll. The registrar is able to make those decisions if students provide a course description or syllabus.

Transfer work will not affect the student’s Greenville College grade point average. 

In evaluating courses for transfer credit, the registrar follows these policies for all undergraduates:

  • Credits earned for an Associate of Arts or Science degree are not automatically accepted by Greenville College. All individual courses must meet the policy for transfer credit.
  • Transfer credit may be accepted for college level courses that are academic in nature.
  • Transfer credit is not possible for remedial courses, special courses such as orientation or speed-reading, or most technical or vocational training courses (for example, courses on welding, plumbing, or appliance repair will not be accepted.).
  • Some academically-oriented vocational courses, such as an anatomy course in a nursing program, may be accepted (up to 30 credit hours). Any vocational course approved by the registrar in consultation with the department chair to meet a general education requirement is not counted toward the 30-credit limit.
  • Quarter credits are converted to semester credits by taking the number of quarter credits earned times two-thirds. The conversion of quarter credits to semester credits requires truncating as opposed to rounding. This is done for each course.
  • A maximum of 30 semester credits can be accepted in any area of concentration (e.g. Bible and religion courses).
  • Credit for courses completed through the armed forces will be granted according to the recommendations of the Commission on Accreditation of Service Experiences.
  • Students with an international transcript will have coursework translated (if necessary) and evaluated by the World Education Service (WES).  Courses will be accepted on a case by case basis.
  • Thirty hours of credit by examination is the maximum allowed to count toward degree requirements.
  • A maximum of 30 semester credits of proficiency credit may be applied towards a bachelor’s degree at Greenville College.
  • Students who have Advanced Placement (AP), College Level Examination Program (CLEP), International Baccalaureate (IB), or Dante’s (DSST) credits must have their scores sent directly to Greenville College to be applied to their degree.
  • Credit for life experience, courses completed at institutions without recognized accreditation, or free online course completion may be granted when the student demonstrates knowledge or competency at the appropriate level through examination or other means. That evaluation will be done by faculty in departments in which the credit is being requested and will incur additional charges.
  • A student may earn a maximum of 30 semester credits of Prior Learning Assessment (PLA). (Students seeking an Illinois Teaching Certificate may not substitute PLA credits for course requirements,)
  • Education (EDUC) courses accepted in transfer must have been taken within five year of being admitted to Greenville College.
  • Minimum grades accepted in transfer vary depending upon the program to which the student is enrolled.
    • Education majors (both on and off campus) must have a C or better in each course to be accepted in transfer.
    • All other students may transfer in grades of D as long as there is a course with equivalent credit that has a grade of A or B from the same institution such that courses transferred average a C (2.0 GPA) or better from each institution.
  • Pass/Fail courses may be accepted in transfer as long as a Pass grade is assigned to the course.
  • The maximum number of transfer credits accepted varies depending on the program to which the student is enrolled.
    • Students in the traditional program are allowed a maximum of 86 credits in transfer. Of those 86 credits, only 66 credits can be accepted from two year institutions (junior or community colleges) or from Bible colleges.
    • Students enrolled in our undergraduate teacher education partnership (UTEP) program are allowed to transfer in a maximum of 74 credits from any of the partnership schools.
    • Students enrolled in the School of Adult Studies may transfer in a maximum of 82 credits.
  • Transfer credit will not be accepted and duplicate hours will not be awarded for equivalent courses previously earned at Greenville College with a grade of D or better. However, the grade on the transfer institution’s transcript will be used to validate completion of the course to meet a curriculum requirement with the required grade. Students attempting to raise their cumulative GPAs must repeat the respective course(s) at Greenville.