The Campus

Most of the College buildings are conveniently grouped around Scott Field. Once an orchard, this plat of land became an athletic field and now forms the campus "quad.” It is still the scene of pick-up games of touch football, ultimate Frisbee, and soccer—bringing a bit of backyard informality to the center of the campus. To the north of the main campus are 13 acres of wooded gullies that offer a restful retreat from academic pressure.

The historic administration and office building, Wilson T. Hogue Hall, originally housed Almira College. Bricks for the building were made on the front campus in 1855. Hogue Hall was decommissioned and razed in 2008 due to a lack of structural integrity of the 150 year old building.

The historic LaDue Auditorium, built in 1906, is used as a classroom and is used for special events. LaDue’s lower and upper levels were completely renovated during the spring of 2007 and is the home of the School of Education. Marston Hall, a classroom building added in 1961, is equipped with smart classrooms to enhance the learning experience.

The Ruby E. Dare Library was constructed in 1950, enlarged in 1970, and more than doubled in size in 1991 with the addition of the Irvin L. Young Library Tower. More than 128,000 books, 5,000 electronic books, and 300 print periodicals are held, in addition to more than 5,000 audiovisual items, including videocassettes, DVDs, compact disks, and other formats. The Library provides online access to many databases, including indexes to periodicals, full-text articles in over 12,000 journals, and online reference works. The Library belongs to the Consortium of Academic and Research Libraries in Illinois (CARLI). This group maintains I-Share, an online library catalog that allows patrons to search the Greenville College Library collection and the collections of over 75 other academic libraries in the organization. The Library has a computer classroom and computer lab with approximately 35 workstations. A staff of professional librarians, a paraprofessional, and student assistants are available to help patrons. The Library also maintains the Community Life Offices and the College Archives, a collection of documents and materials relevant to the history of the College.

Recreation, fitness, and athletic buildings are located on the north edge of Scott Field and at the athletic fields south of campus. They include the H. J. Long Gymnasium in which most of the indoor athletic events are held, the Glen and Maxine Crum Recreation Center, which is dedicated to recreational and intramural sport activities, and the Greenville College Fitness Center which is a full service health club. Tennis courts are located adjacent to the gymnasium and are lighted for evening play. Separate intercollegiate playing fields for baseball, football, soccer, softball, and track are located at the John M. Strahl Complex, an approximate 50-acre area just one mile south of the main campus. In addition to varsity and intramural programs, informal use of the recreational facilities is encouraged.

The Delbert E. Sims College Union, built in 1960 underwent a main floor remodel in 2005 and in 2006 the second floor was remodeled to better serve the variety of student needs. The Student Association and Campus Service Organization (CSO) offices, a commuter lounge, snack bar, and student recreation space with ping pong, pool, foosball and a state of the art media room are here, as well as campus mailboxes.

The Dietzman Center, completed in 2001, houses a wonderful coffee shop, Jo’s Java. Also included in the two-story building are the WGRN Radio Studios, classrooms, and offices for the Briner School of Business and Communication Department.

The Kelsey Building, located eight blocks south of the main campus, is the working area for two departments. The College maintenance crew headquarters and workshops and the Factory Theatre share this unmatched space. Included in the theatre are additional facilities for drama students.

Maves Art Center, located three blocks west of the main campus, was renovated in 2003. The upper floor contains the Rowland Art Gallery, a drawing and painting studio, a fine arts classroom, a computer graphics center, and a student lounge. The lower level contains studio space for senior art majors, a sculpture studio that includes welding and foundry facilities, a wood shop, and a ceramics studio.

The Bock Museum, the historic Almira College House constructed in 1855 and restored in 2005, serves as the museum facility for the Richard W. Bock Sculpture Collection. The collection consists of over 300 plaster and bronze sculptures of varying development of Bock's ideas and early conceptions for projects and commissions. A number of the renderings were made in the 1880s in Europe. The collection also contains several architectural drawings by Frank Lloyd Wright. Bock served as Wright's sculptor for many years, during which time they became close personal friends and collaborated on numerous projects. Several items designed by Wright are in the collection, including a rectilinear oak table and a leaded stained glass window.

The Snyder Hall of Science, completed in 1976, contains 30,000 square feet of space on two floors. Well-equipped laboratories provide students and faculty opportunities for both regular class instruction and individual research projects. In addition, classrooms, faculty offices, storage space, and hall lined display cases make this center for scientific inquiry an inviting place for scientific discovery.

The John and Martha Ayers Science Field Station is located on 140 acres 3.8 miles north of campus. This field station/nature preserve, extending from the creek bed through wetlands and woodlands to hilltop prairies, provides a fitting facility to allow for ongoing class, laboratory, and research projects by departments within the sciences. Located at the field station is the Leon Winslow Observatory. The three part observatory is a facility that promotes the direct observation of stars and galaxies. First, long tables external to the building provide a platform for smaller, computer controlled telescopes that can be set, aligned and then programmed to locate virtually any position in the sky. The other two parts of the observatory are located in a 20’ x 40’ building which has a split roof so that the upper portion may be retracted to expose two larger telescopes to the sky. Under the fixed roof is a classroom. In addition to the observatory, construction is complete on the Glenn and Ruth White Environmental Education Center also located at the Ayers Science Field Station. This log building contains classrooms, offices and storage for field equipment all of which enhance learning for environmental biology majors as well as provides an attractive setting for introducing area public school children to the values of environmental stewardship.

Acquired in 2005, the old Greenville Free Methodist Church building became Greenville College’s Whitlock Music Center. The College converted the 38,000 sq. ft. of space for the Music Department that includes classrooms, practice rooms, recording studios, and space for lab bands. The sanctuary was converted into the James E Wilson Recital Hall.

The Watson and Bonnie Tidball Alumni House and Welcome Center, dedicated in 2008, serves as a symbolic as well as physical connection between GC and its alumni, linking alumni more effectively to the institution and to each other. The Tidball Alumni House provides space for Alumni Relations offices, social gatherings, and college receptions.

Joy House serves as the home of Greenville's Admission’s Office. A house with a long and distinguished history, it has been restored and furnished in the elegant taste of former years. Symbolic of the friendly relations between faculty and students, Joy House is located across the street from the College Union. Previously, Joy House previously served as the President’s residence, but in 2014 the College received a generous donation of The Chartreuse Bed and Breakfast which now serves as the home for the president and his family.

In the spring of 2011, Greenville College nearly doubled the size of its main campus with the donation of 44 acres of undeveloped contiguous property. The property, known as the Gullies, is located directly north of campus between Beaumont Avenue and Highway 140 and borders the Hoiles Gardens. Short term opportunities range from recreational space for students to academic use for programs like environmental biology. Long term uses for the new addition will be considered in the years to come.

Also in the spring of 2011, Greenville College acquired the Prairie Center which houses the University Pathways Intensive English Language Program.

In the summer of 2012, Greenville College remodeled the property on First Street popularly known as the “Congregational House” into a high-tech collaborate classroom space for digital media, and music business majors. The building was named the Light and Life Digital Media Center.

The JKL Academic Hall, on the corner of Main and Locust, was dedicated in 2014.  The building which houses the School of Theology, Philosophy, and Ministry contains office space for faculty, a classroom, and a common space.

The campus is impressive not only in its buildings, but also in its technological resources . Greenville College was the first college or university in the country to have a wireless network accessible from any dorm room, classroom, or space on the main campus. Information Technology (IT) has a HelpDesk, staffed by highly knowledgeable individuals, which can assist students with problems they may have with their personal computers or laptops. Students are able to check their grades, turn in work, and evaluate courses via Internet based programs. Students are also able to view and print their class schedules and transcripts on-line.

Eleven residence halls on the Greenville College campus become "home" for approximately 850 residential students during the academic year. Carrie T. Burritt Hall is the site of the first residence hall for women built in 1922. Adjoining Burritt Hall are two additions, Dallas Annex, 1946, and Burritt Annex, 1958. Adjacent to this residential complex is Armington Center. Completed in 1982, this is the location of the dining commons. The lower level of this building contains Greenville Central a one-stop-shop containing the Business, Financial Aid, and Records Offices. Additional living space is provided in Enoch A. Holtwick Hall, 1968. Holtwick Hall is a two-story structure that houses 25 residents on each floor. Walter A. Joy Hall, 1963, is a four-floor building which offers a traditional residence hall living environment. Janssen Hall was renovated during the summer of 2007 and offers a similar living environment to Joy Hall but on a smaller scale. Two other residence halls include Elva E. Kinney Hall built in 1966 and renovated in 1998 and Mary A. Tenney Hall, 1967. The Nancy Blankenship Apartments, 2000, offer 60 students apartment-style living complete with full kitchens, while the Ellen J. Mannoia Residence Hall, 2001, offers 78 students apartment-style living as well. The most recent addition is Duane E. Hood Residence Hall which houses 100 students in a traditional dorm setting; construction was completed during the summer of 2007. One of the unique aspects of the Residence Life program is the opportunity for upper-class students to live in one of several houses the College owns. These houses are located on or next to the main campus and provide upper class students with an alternative to living in the residence halls, yet remain a part of the residential campus. Living in the residence halls at Greenville College will be a memorable experience. The residence halls are more than just a place to sleep and study. Here students make lasting friendships and learn personal responsibility. These are places that will challenge students to grow spiritually, emotionally, and intellectually.